Friday, August 15, 2008

Kitchen Ramblings

If you've ever been to our house for dinner theres a big chance you've had my Tortilla Soup.
I got the recipe from Verna and have added my own touches to it over the past couple of years. (So I can't take all the credit).
My favorite thing to make it SOUP!
It's been raining here in Arlington and looks like it'll be raining for a few more days, so that put me in the mood for soup.

Tortilla Soup

1 Rotisserie Chicken

2 32 oz. boxes chicken stock

2 cups water

1-2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 small onion, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

1 can rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles (mild or hot you pick)

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tbls. cumin

juice one 1 lime

handful of chopped cilantro

Bring chicken stock, water, and chicken bouillons to boil. Add onion, celery, rotel, and spices. Pick meat off of rotisserie chicken, slice into small chunks, (be sure to take skin off chicken as well) add to soup pot. Add lime juice and cilantro. Add Salt and Pepper if needed. Simmer for 1 hour at least. In the past I've simmered up to 4 hours. It just gets better and better. Especially the day after when you warm it up :)

Most of the time I just buy tortilla chips to go with the soup. We garnish ours with chopped avocado, a wedge of lime, and monterrey jack cheese.

This recipe is wonderful for the rainy days! Also wonderful when the cooler months role around! ENJOY!

1 comment:

~kristi said...

I make this soup about once a month, and always for pot lucks!